
An enterprising Serbian woman by the name of Dona Ilic recently started a TV program here in Serbia called "Mladi Talenti," or "Young Talents." As the name indicates, it is a talent show for kids. Ms. Dona recently invited kids from the international community in Belgrade to participate in her show, and our Virginia, not surprisingly, jumped at the opportunity. And so, Virginia and I spent last Saturday evening at the K-CN TV studios here in Belgrade where the show is taped. Yet another amazing and memorable Serbian cultural experience!
The show is a bit cheesy, truth be told, but the kids participating had a ball, and the parents were all beaming with pride as their kids took the stage. Ms. Dona, who is quite a striking and energetic woman, espouses an expansive definition of the term "talent." As she told me on the phone, "it can really be anything -- singing, dancing, showing something the child has drawn, poetry, playing the piano or another instrument, or whatever." The talents displayed on Saturday night ranged from a group of 12 children who attend the British international school performing an African dance to a precious 8-year old girl named Sarah playing her violin to Virginia and other "contestants" singing, playing the piano, dancing or otherwise displaying their talents on the stage.
I must say that I was enormously proud of Virginia and how she handled the situation. I can only imagine that it would be a bit nerve-wracking for a 6-year old girl to sit for an hour and a half waiting her turn to get up and perform in front of a room full of people and four or five TV cameras. But when her turn finally came, she stood up like a pro, walked to the stage, talked with Ms. Dona briefly, and then performed a sweet rendition of "Do, Re, Mi" from The Sound of Music, something I'm not sure I could have done at her age. In any event, it was another great experience, and one, I think, that Virginia will remember for many years to come.
Here are some photos from the evening:
![]() |
| Patiently waiting her turn |





What an adorable little cutie-pie she is!
ReplyDeleteThanks!!
ReplyDelete