Studenica Monastery, Serbia

Thursday, March 11, 2010

What Was I Thinking?

Recently, I wrote about my son's audition with Ralph Fiennes. In my post, I talked about the exciting/disappointing experience, and then philosophized about how the experience nevertheless was amazing and possibly even life-changing.

Well, I just signed onto gmail to check my emails, and Wes was logged into his gmail account, so I went directly to his gmail page (which happens sometimes). I noticed that his "Buzz" status said:

"I met Voldemort."

For any non-Harry Potter fans reading this, Voldemort is the villain in the Harry Potter series, and Ralph Fiennes has played this role in the Harry Potter films. I'm guessing that Wes posted this status right after auditioning with Mr. Fiennes.

Well, I read this status, and read it again, and then had my epiphany:

Wes and I had totally different perspectives as he went through the process of auditioning for -- and coming awfully close to getting -- a fairly significant role in Mr. Fiennes' upcoming film. I saw life lessons, and an audition experience that I have no doubt will help him with every other audition -- and probably other things -- in his life; Wes on the other hand saw....Voldemort!

Of course that's what he saw. Duh!?! He's a 12-year old boy who, like so many kids his age, devoured every Harry Potter book within hours after they were released, and who probably can quote entire scenes from every Harry Potter movie. So, on February 25, 2010, when Wes met and auditioned for Ralph Fiennes, he probably wasn't thinking about how great this would/could be for his acting career. Nope. He was thinking "Oh my gosh, Voldemort is standing right in front of me, talking to me, directing me, and this is so amazingly cool I just can't stand it." I may be putting words in his mouth, but I'm thinking that this is what he was thinking, and I'm so glad that he had THAT experience. Now that really is something that I suspect he never will forget!!

It's funny, isn't it, how we sometimes get glimpses into our our kids' hearts and minds in unexpected ways? I'm not sure that I would have ever realized Wes' perspective on the Fiennes audition (although it should have been pretty obvious!) had it not been for the gift of unexpectedly happening upon his Buzz status. Thanks Mr. Buzz for helping me understand my son a little better.

Erin

3 comments:

  1. It's Friday, and that means that the Fourth Weekly State Department Blog Roundup is up - and you're on it!

    Here is the link:

    http://bit.ly/9J6NBQ

    (If I quoted your text and you would rather I had not, please let me know. Please also be sure to check the link(s) that I put up to you, in order to verify that they work properly. If you would rather that I had not referenced you, and/or do not want me to reference you in the future, please also contact me.)

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Erin, I'm sure auditioning for Ralph Fiennes was very exciting in different ways for you and your son - what a great experience indeed! I'll be visiting Belgrade for first time next week and really look forward to it. Can you recommend some interesting sightseeing spots? It's always different when somebody living in the place suggests something. Thank you, Sonja

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully spoken... :)) Are you sure you were not spying on him? :P

    ReplyDelete