Unbelievably, we've just experienced another car disaster here in the Richardson household. After last week's episode with the Saab dying, and having to buy a new alternator to the tune of $400, I thought that we'd surely have at least a brief respite from car issues. But evidently not.
For the past several months, I've been trying to close the deal on an oil change for our Honda Odyssey. When we found a mechanic several months ago who could do an oil change for a fraction of the cost that the Honda dealership charges, we thought we'd hit the jackpot. Turns out, though, when we took the car over for the oil change, the guy needed an oil filter and the oil -- FROM US! Apparently, filters and oil are not readily available here, and it is common in the diplomatic community for folks to order these things from the U.S and then have their local mechanics do the work.
And so, we ordered the filter (had to order brake pads, as well). We had an appointment with the mechanic today to install the brake pads and oil filter, and I picked Virginia and Wes up from school, stopped by the bakery for a snack, and then headed over to see him. Everything was going well (brake pads were installed and oil filter inserted) until our guy lowered the car down to the ground, and I noticed something that sounded and looked like water running out of the bottom of my car. Being the eternal optimist (not sure if this still is the case or not, actually), I assumed that it was water leaking out from something, but did think it wise to ask the mechanic about it. He looked and then looked again, and started shaking his head. Well, long story short, it seems that the filter we ordered was not the right one for our car, and 2 liters of oil had spilled out of the bottom of our car onto the floor of this guy's shop. Disaster.
Given that his English was limited (and that my Serbian still, unfortunately, is not great), we had to get someone on the phone to translate. He explained -- through the translator -- what was going on, and said that he'd have to go out to try to find a filter and some oil. Wow. He generously offered to drive the three of us home, an offer we readily accepted. He says the car will be ready tomorrow morning, and I'm told that the cost will be a whopping $30. Not a bad deal for us, but boy do I feel sorry for this guy who not only has an enormous mess on his hands, but who now has to drive around in rush-hour traffic looking for a stupid little oil filter. This is what I mean when I say that Serbs generally are kind, generous people.
So, to all of my wonderful American blog readers (residing in the U.S.) , please, please, please do NOT take your $35/20-minute Jiffy Lube oil changes for granted. I sure never will again.
Erin
Monday, March 22, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Wow!
ReplyDeleteSo sorry for your awful car troubles! I just can't imagine.
Yes, as we are in TX, I am thinking very grateful Jiffy Lubesque thoughts.
yes...i cannot believe you had to deal with yet another car disaster...you should be over your quota now...smooth sailing (driving) from here on out!
ReplyDelete