Our family visited Sarajevo this past weekend. I was blown away by the sheer natural beauty of the city, but perhaps more so by how the city seems to have pulled itself up by the bootstraps. Other than many, many shell markings and bullet holes on the outside of buildings, there are few visible signs of the unfathomable trauma experienced by this city and its people less than two decades ago. Tourism appears to be thriving in Sarajevo, the streets are filled with people, and honestly, it is one of the most amazing and interesting places I've ever visited.
For centuries, Sarajevo has prided itself on being a veritable ethnic and religious melting pot. Indeed, in the old center of town, one can find a cathedral, several mosques, a synagogue and an orthodox church within blocks of one another. The city's architecture provides evidence of some degree of harmony between different groups of people here through the ages, as well. Given the city's strong Ottoman influences, in certain parts of the city, you could swear that you were in Istanbul, but walk several blocks, and you feel as though you've been transported to Salzburg. The food, of course, was fabulous, with a heavy emphasis on meat (cevapci) and wonderful breads, pastries and cakes.
My appreciation for the city and its history was enhanced by having read two excellent books recently involving Sarajevo. I would recommend both The Cellist of Sarajevo, by Steven Galloway, and People of the Book, by Geraldine Brooks. I have my outstanding book club here in Belgrade to thank for the selection of both of these great books. I'm also told by a friend who lived in Sarajevo a few years ago that Logavina Street: Life and Death in a Sarajevo Neighborhood is an excellent read for folks interested in learning more about what happened in Sarajevo in the early 1990s.
Here are some photos from the weekend:
| View towards the eastern hills and over the old town from the western hills |

Hi, I`ve so enjoyed your blog. We will be moving to Belgrade next month, and when we found out about our transfer I started reading your descriptions of all your travels etc. They have been fantastic, and I`ve got lots of tips about where to go and what to do, avoid etc., while in Belgrade. Many thanks and good luck for your home posting. Josephine Kamsvåg
ReplyDeleteSo glad it's been useful for you, Josephine. I think that you'll enjoy living in the Balkans. Definitely a fascinating region, and a great jumping off place for visiting so many other parts of the world, as well. Best to you.
ReplyDeleteSarajevo is indeed a beautiful city... but again you are making a mistake by actually speaking about something you seem not to understand... It is not such a black&white story as you described it... It is a boring and wide theme to cover all but you must at 1st place understand that that Serbians who you called the attacker side... were actual regular entity on all of the former Yugoslavia... and Bosnian Muslims (which are actually Serbians who took Islam when Ottoman empire was conquering these lands) were organizing paramilitary formations... and we were certainly not fighting civilians... just rebel force who was trying to send all Serbians out of "their" country. If you don't believe or if you are interested in this i can give you something to work with.
ReplyDeleteStill sending love from Serbia of course :))