Like most people, I've always been horrified by the events of World War II, and in particular, the Holocaust. When you live in a part of the world that was so directly impacted by the evil acts of Hitler and the Nazis, the horrors of those awful years become all the more real and haunting. Walking through Subotica in northern Serbia the other day, the kids and I came across a Memorial (pictured below), which is located in front of the delapidated, but beautiful, synogogue in the middle of town. It indicates that 4000 Jewish residents of Subotica were killed in Nazi death camps. This stark and unexpected reminder of the realities of our world's history called to mind our recent trip to Dachau, and the memorial museum that is now located there. Since I never wrote a blog entry about that visit, I'm including some photos from our day there below, as well.
 |
| Memorial at the synogogue in Subotica |
 |
| Snow covering the concrete risers on which the barracks at Dachau were built |
 |
| Sign at the entrance to the Dachau Memorial Site -- it reads "Dachau - the significance of this name will never be erased from German history. It stands for all concentration which the Nazis established in their territory." |
 |
| Crematorium at Dachau |
 |
| A replica of one of the barracks at Dachau |
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteOh. My. Heavens.
ReplyDeleteTragic - sobering - horrible. What a trip that must have been.
I voraciously read Holocaust accounts, but I can't even imagine a trip to Dachau.