Studenica Monastery, Serbia

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Our Last Night in Belgrade

Virginia chowing down on some palacinka
Virginia and Milica opening gifts
Beautiful Milica
Branka, Virginia, Milica and me
The girls and the boys


Our last week in Belgrade was unusual, to say the least. The weekend prior to our departure, we had gone to Sarajevo for the weekend. Despite having a wonderful time, Wes came down with a strange virus comprised mainly of a killer headache. On Monday, Eli was laid up with the virus, and by later that evening, my head was starting to hurt. By Tuesday afternoon, I had become incapacitated with the absolute worst headache I had ever had. We were scheduled to leave on Wednesday, but I had to move our departure back to Thursday because I literally could not move my body at all on Tuesday. By Wednesday afternoon, I started to feel a little better. That evening, our wonderful Serbian next door neighbors invited the kids over to play. Around 7 that evening, I went over to retrieve them, and ended up staying for a wonderful evening of palacinka (Serbian pancakes), coffee, and conversation. It was a fabulous and fun way to end our time there, and we all thoroughly enjoyed hanging out with the Paukovic family one last time. In typical Serbian style, they showered us with gifts (I felt so badly that I had nothing to give them in return!), and there were some tears shed when we left. It was very sad saying goodbye to these wonderful people who helped make our time in Serbia so great. We have and will miss them terribly.

1 comment:

  1. Do you guys make crepes here in The States? They are very easy to make and kids can be reminded of Belgrade by eating them!

    ReplyDelete