I just learned that a neighbor of ours from Nashville passed away last week. She had been diagnosed with advanced ovarian cancer in 2006. She bravely fought and beat -- at least once -- that nasty, mean disease. I wasn't aware that the cancer had returned. She was 52 years old and was an extraordinarily gifted and prolific musician. Although I was not close to her, we were friendly, and I enjoyed our occasional conversations during the time that we were neighbors. Her name was Ruth McGinnis, and you can read what her friend and fellow musician, Amy Grant, had to say about Ruth and her remarkable life, at this site:
http://blogs.tennessean.com/tunein/2009/10/06/amy-grant-pays-tribute-to-friend-and-musician-ruth-mcginnis/
All of this makes me realize how much life -- and death -- go on. In the short seven months that we've been gone, several friends and family members have died, people have gotten divorced, have moved, graduated from college, had babies, gotten married, had illnesses and surgeries, gotten new jobs, and lost jobs. Football teams have won and lost games and kids have ended one school year, enjoyed a summer vacation, and started a new school year. Lots of things can and do happen in a relatively short period of time. Life goes on.
We should all take a page out of Ruth McGinnis' life book and strive to live our days to the fullest, giving thanks for the blessings in our lives and for the people that God has given us to love.
Blessings,
Erin
Friday, October 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment