Studenica Monastery, Serbia

Monday, October 5, 2009

Ajvar -- Postscript

Some readers of this blog have asked how ajvar is eaten. Silly me -- of course I should have explained this in my initial post. As it turns out, though, I'm not exactly sure of the answer to this question. I know that it is often used as a spread on bread, and most often combined with butter or some sort of feta or other soft white cheese on bread. I am immensely happy when I can just dip fresh-baked, warm bread in ajvar -- it doesn't get much better than that, in my view. I also have been told that a little ajvar can add a lot of flavor to bean or other veggie soups. Since it's described as a relish, I would imagine that it also would be great with grilled chicken, pork or beef. I am guessing that eating it straight out of a spoon would be pretty tasty, as well. (As you can see, we've taken to the Serbian food -- so no worries about the Richardson clan wasting away over here). I sure wish that I could send every reader of this blog a bottle of ajvar to try out, but I can't. So, if you want to try some ajvar, we suggest that you hop on a plane, and come on over for a visit!! Take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment