Studenica Monastery, Serbia

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Ah - the Joys of Snow!

As I mentioned in yesterday's blog post, it started snowing here in Belgrade yesterday. It's still snowing, and is not predicted to stop for days. We probably got 5-6 inches last night. Unlike the public school system in Nashville, which regularly closes school even at the hint of a few flurries, the schools here clearly are unfazed by the winter weather, and school is in session.

Getting (or trying to get) folks to school this morning, however, was a bit of an adventure. Wes and Virginia's school is within walking distance, so no problems there. Lori was planning to drive Mikayla to her school (which is a bit farther away) in our Saab, but alas, our gate wouldn't open due to the accumulating snow and ice, and so we decided that I would drive Mikayla in the Honda (parked outside of the gate on the street), and that Lori and Graham would ride with us.

After scraping many inches of snow off of the front and back windows of the van, I got in, and was prepared to impress Lori and Mikayla with my snow-driving abilities (acquired, I thought, during our years in New Jersey). Well, I am here to tell you that what transpired over the next little while was not impressive; to the contrary, I proceeded to get stuck in the snow on our street (which, in my defense, had not been cleared at all, and was in pretty bad shape). After Eli helped me get the car unstuck, we decided to abandon the whole driving thing, and to let Mikayla and Graham have a snow day, even though their school is in session. Clearly, we will need to buy snow tires or chains if we want the children to make it school on a regular basis!

Mikayla and I had a nice walk down to our little neighborhood shopping area, and Graham and Lori have spent some time out playing in the snow, as well. It now appears that nearly 8 or 9 inces of snow have fallen, with no end in sight. Here are some scenes from the day:



Serbian school children walking in the snow


Our street (Japanese Ambassador's wall on the left)

Our house








Mikayla
Happy Tuesday!
Erin

1 comment:

  1. Hello. I work for Ed Hine, Jr. in Rome, GA. He has been trying to get in touch with you and would like to have your email address. His email is ehinejr@bellsouth.net. Thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete