Studenica Monastery, Serbia

Saturday, September 5, 2009

College Football (in Serbia?!?)


Hi, there. Eli here. Time for me to make a guest appearance. I can hardly match my better half in talking about things like travel, food, children, culture, homes, etc. There is, however, one thing I believe I can talk about with at least minimal proficiency: college football. I need to let ourfriends know how it is for a college football nut to try to catch some of it from Serbia. Alas, the options aren't great. On the other hand, we are not completely deprived of coolege football.

My admittedly non-exhaustive research regarding catching as much college football as possible led me to some dead ends on some once promising leads. For reasons with which I need not bore you, desirable options such as ESPN360 and Armed Forces Network are not available to us. So what do we have? ESPN America, which airs a variety of games each week. some we need to catch after the fact, because we were asleep during their initial arirings. So, for example, Thursday night's season openers (NC State - South Carolina and Boise State Oregon) we watched on Friday night. For you kids out there, generally I don't recommend trying this (whiling away perfectly good hours watching relatively random games) at home. However, it had been 8 months since we had any college football, so several of us here (not just me) were happy to watch even these replays last night.

So what about live action? On Saturdays, generally that will mean catching the noon (East Coast time) games at 6 p.m. here, and and/or a second game begining at 9 Belgrade time. No chance of channel surfing between games; there is just one channel (as I mentioned, ESPN America) showing games. This actually might make others here happy, who think that unless I am watching an (away) Vanderbilt game, I flip back and forth between games way too much.

Speaking of Vanderbilt, we may be relegated to listening, via an Internet audio feed that does appear available, to Vandy games. Many of their games will beginning around 1 or 2 a.m. Belgrade time. Back in the day, that would've been no problem. Could be a challenge now, however. We will see who all in the house are the true Vandy fans.
Catch ya later!
Eli

No comments:

Post a Comment