Studenica Monastery, Serbia

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

It's Summertime, and the Fruits and Vegetables are Incredible!!



I know that I've mentioned Belgrade's produce markets in earlier posts, but I was in yet another amazing green market today, and took some photos I wanted to post. Today, for the first time, I saw raspberries and peaches (for the past few weeks, strawberries and cherries have dominated the stalls at the markets). The fruits and veggies here are all organic because the local farmers do not use pesticides, so for these dirt cheap prices (less than $1.00 per pound for strawberries, even less than that for a pound of cherries, and 50 cents for the greenest head of boston bibb lettuce you've ever seen), you are eating this gorgeous produce (the colors of the fruits and veggies are so vivid, and as Eli has noted, the strawberries are actually red on the inside, as opposed to the red on the outside, white on the inside strawberries that we get back in the states) that beats the pants off the over-priced offerings at pricey U.S. stores like Whole Foods. This alone, in my view, is a good reason to live in Belgrade!! Happy summer!!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Amazing, isnt it? The markets in Romania are the same. Fruit, veggies, even eggs are the best ever and the cheapest ever. And OMG bread! Fresh, still warm, dirt cheap. -Doug

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Erin,

    My name is Karl Haudbourg. I'm trying to bring a better understanding of Serbia to the world. I followed your blog in my reader, and found your experience very interesting. In particular, I liked your last posts "It's Summertime, and the Fruits and Vegetables are Incredible" and "Shopping, shopping, shopping". I would like to ask your permission to re-publish them over at my website. Readers would see that the stories were written by you, and a bio-box and link to your website would tell readers a bit more about you (see for example stories written by Darina Kopcok, or Bobby Graham, and click their name). Not a bad idea?

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow..can't wait to experience it myself...was thinking i would't find much to eat since i don't do red meat but now i am hopeful! looks great to me!

    ReplyDelete