Studenica Monastery, Serbia

Sunday, June 21, 2009

Italy - Part 1

Just thought I'd do a quick entry regarding our trip to Italy so far. At the risk of sounding like an ingrate, I must say that Florence is a downright unpleasant place to visit in the middle of June. I am grateful that I visited this magical city 16 years ago, before the apparent change in the culture of the city with respect to tourists. Although we certainly encountered some lovely, helpful Italians in Florence, we also were treated more rudely than we ever have been by several Florentines. I am not kidding -- we actually were asked to leave a shoe store after trying on several pairs of shoes and deciding not to purchase a pair of shoes in the store. At the airport, while trying to bargain for a better cab fare back to the city center (after having to go back to airport to retrieve our bags, which did not arrive on our flight from Rome), we were called "stupid americans" by a cab driver (he said this in Italian thinking that we wouldn't be able to understand him -- too bad that this phrase sounds just like it would in English in Italian -- my Mother read him the riot act!!) Everything is phenomenally expensive in Florence, as well. Most restaurants have a "cover charge" of at least 2 euros (about $3) just to sit down in the restaurant. Cab rides are extremely overpriced, but you can't drive in the city center, so your choices are to walk or take a cab, so basically you're stuck.

I still love Italy and Florence, though -- how can you not. Our hotel was fabulous -- right on one of the wonderful leather markets in Florence -- a perfect location. One evening after dinner, we happened upon a free orchestral performance in Piazza della Signoria (right by the Uffizi) -- the concert start with a Sousa piece -- pretty fun, and Graham loved it!

We are now in Tuscany staying in a drop-dead gorgeous villa owned by the mother of one of our Nashville neighbors. It is on a 400 acre olive tree estate and situated within walking distance of Lucignano, a medieval walled city. Believe it or not, though, it is raining and cold here, which is a bit of a bummer. As we sit and look at the panoramic view of Tuscany, and our private pool with the same view, we long to jump in the pool, but alas, it is 55 degrees outside and windy and rainy, so we will hope for warmer weather tomorrow.

Will write more later, and will upload photos when I can. Hope everyone is well.

Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment