Studenica Monastery, Serbia

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Less is More

We are renting a house that has a large kitchen. Lots of counterspace, which is nice, and tons of cabinets. The greatest joy for me is that most of the cabinets are empty, and I have discovered of late how much I simply love looking at empty cabinets. Now, don't get me wrong; it's not that we don't have plates, cups, utensils, etc. It's just that because we're still waiting on a lot of our stuff to arrive from Serbia, and because we intentionally haven't unpacked most of the things that we left in storage here, we have only the bare necessities in our kitchen, and it feels GOOD. We have what we need; nothing more, nothing less. It will be an objective of mine over the next year, and before we move back into our real house, to get rid of all of the stuff/junk that we have that we simply do not need. I will keep family heirlooms and china, etc. I will keep some things from when the kids were little (I'm a sucker for all that sentimental stuff!) But, I'm going to try my darndest to actually get rid of the stuff that we just don't need. In my view, less really and truly is more, and it's so liberating not to have one's life cluttered up with so much unnecessary stuff.

So, here's to my new minimalistic approach to life. Hoping it sticks!!

No comments:

Post a Comment