Today marks our seventh week of being back in the States, and in some ways, it feels like we never left. Not much changed while we were gone, and we've jumped right back on the bandwagon of rushing around like chickens with our heads cut off, having packed calendars, going to school events, getting homework done, going to rehearsals and sports practices and piano lessons and swimming lessons and horseback riding lessons. Whew. I'm tired.
One of the things I really enjoyed about our lifestyle in Belgrade was the fact that I did very little driving around with the kids. For the most part, we walked back and forth to school, and most of the after-school activities, as I think I've said before on this blog, were at school. In contrast, I literally feel like I drive a shuttle bus here in Nashville between 3 and 6 every day. It's crazy.
All is not lost for the Richardson family here in Nashville, though. Coming back after being away for a while gives one the chance to start with something of a clean slate in terms of deciding how to spend one's time, and since our return, I've intentionally made some different choices about how to spend my personal time. I am prioritizing the family, exercise, reading, and spending time with my friends, parents, and my sister and her kids. I'm trying not to get too bogged down in the frustrations that accompany life in the 21st century. I'm trying not to dwell on the inadequacies of the school system for Graham, or the traffic, or the cost of groceries and other things here. I'm trying to stay positive and focused on the good around me. I'm grateful to have so many wonderful friends who are supportive and interesting and around whom I truly enjoy spending my time. I am grateful to live in a place that is so beautiful, and that is blessed with splendid and vast public parks where I can go to walk and run and to clear my head. I am grateful to be healthy, both physically and emotionally. I am grateful for my children, and for my husband, and for the opportunity our family had to live in a different place and to experience life in another part of the world.
In short, I'm feeling rather good about life at the moment. Missing Belgrade, certainly, but happy to be where I am. And that feels good.
Thursday, September 16, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment