Studenica Monastery, Serbia

Friday, June 11, 2010

Poor Little Mozzies

First things first: shame on me for going a whole week without posting anything. For some crazy reason, I've been super busy this past week, and just haven't gotten to it. But here I am again. Lucky you.

Today's post is about the plight of Serbian mosquitos (or mozzies, as I learned last night they're called in Australia). Let's just say that the lifespan of little Serbian mozzies is quite short. You gotta love the way that literally within 48 hours after the pesky little things appear, the helicopters are flying around town dropping some sort of toxic dust that, let me just tell you, obliterates the entire population of mozzies.

It was cold and rainy here last week, the first week of June. And then, on Sunday, it got hot -- really hot -- and the mosquitos came out in full force. By Wednesday night, the planes were a flying, and we were at a party last night on a friend's terrace, and I realized that we were completely mosquito free. Amazing. I love it, I must say.

One of the reasons we sold our first house in Nashville -- I kid you not -- was because of the huge population of mosquitos on the property. I really dislike mosquitos. Actually, I detest the little buggers. And so it is for that reason, in addition to many others, that I find myself feeling quite happy here in this little country that apparently shares my feelings on this issue.

Hoping your summer has been fun and mozzie-free!

Erin

1 comment:

  1. The mosquitos are bad here now. Parker has an allergic reaction to them and he has had deformed looking little legs the last couple of days. Now that the internet is set up I'll be ordering the arsenal of stuff I used to kill them off in Fort Wayne!

    ReplyDelete