To be honest, before we arrived in Belgrade, I hadn't given much thought to the issue of personal services (such as haircuts, nails, etc.). I guess that I figured that worst-case scenario, we'd all let our hair grow for a year and then come back and get it chopped off. Or, perhaps we'd get haircuts while traveling in other countries.
Well, as it turns out, Belgrade is full of great salons with talented hairdressers, and we've found one that we particularly like. Her name is Goca, and she does a marvelous job cutting my hair and the kids' hair. Even Wes is a huge fan of hers -- her cuts are several steps up from the cheap cuts we I used to get for the kids in back in Nashville, and since Wes actually cares what his hair looks like these days, he appreciates how Goca makes his hair look. Kids' cuts run in the neighborhood of about $15, which is a little more than we paid in Nashville, but the quality is much higher.
When it comes to my cuts and highlighting, though, the cost here is less than half of the exorbitant rates that salons charge for such things back home, so I've enjoyed not feeling like I've just been gauged when leaving the hair salon. Here are some pics of our time with Goca last week:
 |
| Virginia -- Before |
 |
| And after, with her new short haircut |
 |
| Wes getting his shampoo |
 |
| Getting his cut |
For me, that is always one of the worst parts of moving to a new neighborhood - finding a barber. I find it to be awkward for a while to have a stranger touching my head and cutting my hair. I can only imagine how much more awkward it can be with a language barrier.
ReplyDelete