Studenica Monastery, Serbia

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Our Serbian EEG


Graham had an EEG here in Belgrade about 10 days ago. Although we weren't due for an EEG, we wanted to see what, if anything, had changed neurologically for him, in order to get a better handle on these pesky meal-time seizures. The procedure took place at The Institute for Mother and Child -- a pediatric hospital here in Belgrade. The experience, needless to say, was interesting and enlightening, particularly in light of the current healthcare debate in the U.S.


Since I spent the last three months of 2008 trying to convince the US State Department that Graham should be granted medical clearance for Belgrade, I do not intend to bash the Serbian healthcare system or say that it is inadequate to meet Graham's needs. What I will say, though, is that the system leaves quite a bit to be desired. To be honest, our family was treated like royalty at the hospital because of our diplomatic status, and, more specifically, because we were accompanied to the appointment by Embassy health unit personnel. Not so, though, for your average Serb, who must sit for hours waiting to be seen by a physician who, although generally very highly-trained, is so woefully underpaid that it makes my skin crawl (I am told that the average Serbian physician makes around 500 euros per month, which is the equivalent of approximately $750/month). In Serbia, as in many countries, the government runs the healthcare system, and I can say, based on my first-hand observations here in Serbia, as well as in Romania and Slovenia, that this just isn't an ideal way of delivering health care services. Ironically, the most highly-regarded clinics here in Belgrade (and the ones most often chosen by expats and diplomats) are privately run -- and the physicians who work in these clinics, of course, are much better paid. So, while I am not necessarily weighing in on the healthcare debate in the U.S. (mainly because I admittedly am not fully up to speed on all of the details of the current Obama proposal), and while I fully realize that there are problems with our system that desperately need to be fixed, I unequivocally would be opposed to any single-provider (i.e. government-run delivery system) plan.


That said, I must say that there have been some aspects of our experiences with the Serbian health care system that have delighted me. For example, the neurologist we're working with in Belgrade emails me back IMMEDIATELY when I reach out for her -- something that never happens with our US providers. The EEG technician was so sweet, and was so amazed by Wesley's presence, and by his kindness to his brother that the whole exchange nearly brought me to tears. The hospital itself, though, was falling down, and we've been told that an overnight stay at Mother & Child, as well as other hospitals here in Belgrade is something to be avoided at all costs. The people that work in these places, however, have been nothing but kind and generous to our family, and especially to Graham. So I say kudos to the Serbian people for their consistently wonderful spirit, and "get to work" to the Serbian government, which has a lot of work to do on many levels, not the least of which is improving its healthcare system.

No comments:

Post a Comment