Studenica Monastery, Serbia

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

I'm a Blogger Now!!




Okay, I've done it!!!!! I started a blog. Pressured by many of you into making this huge leap into the abyss of technology, I finally gave in, and like so many things in life, am wondering why it took me so long to do this!

To follow-up on my post from last week, our trip to Novi Sad and Timosoara was fun. Novi Sad is about an hour north of Belgrade, and is a quaint little university town with a good bit of history. The highlight for the Richardson kids was visiting the sandy beach area on the Danube that serves as a "beach" for the locals. Eli was working on Saturday, so the kids and I were out walking, and had not planned to go to the beach, but somehow ended up there anyway. Having not planned ahead, though, we were ill-prepared for the experience (no bathing suits, for instance). Under duress from the kids, I finally succumbed to their pleas to swim in their clothes, and they, of course, had a ball. The Serbs enjoyed watching the wacky Americans swimming in their clothes, too. Of course, the Serbs, like most Europeans walk around practically nude at the beach, so between swimming in our clothes, and having to constantly chase Graham who kept getting in the middle of some kind of game that a bunch of young Serbian guys were playing the beach, we provided some very humorous entertainment for the beachgoers that day. In any event, I've attached a photo of Wes and Virginia playing in the water, and a picture of Graham -- Mr. Happy -- at the beach in Novi Sad.

Speaking of beaches, I don't believe that I've written about Ada, which is this amazing recreational island very close to downtown Belgrade(and less than 10 minutes from our house). The island has a man-made lake in the middle, and there is a 5 mile walking/biking/roller-blading path around it that is dotted with restaurants, bars, picnic tables, ice cream stands, bakeries, and other things that make people happy. You can rent a bike with a carriage for the kids for about $4 an hour. Graham and Virginia LOVE going out there and riding behind Mom and Dad on the bike. The lake is surrounded by a rock beach, and as you can probably imagine, Belgradians swarm to this place on the weekends and throughout the summer. I just went out for a 5 mile walk around the lake this morning -- what a great way to start the day!!

Well, that's all for now. Hoping that all is well with everyone at home, and looking forward to keeping up with everyone through the new blog!

Erin

1 comment:

  1. hey erin...just wanted to say great job on the blog...it looks great! look forward to keeping up with your family's serbian adventures and visiting next march! -caroline

    ReplyDelete