Studenica Monastery, Serbia

Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Update #2


Dear Friends and Family:

I am finally getting a chance to sit down to type up another update on what's going on here in Serbia. Things continue to go very well for us here. Today marks the end of our fourth week here, and in some ways, I can't believe it's been that long, and in other ways, it seems like we just arrived. I am so grateful for the internet as a way of keeping in touch with folks back home, and as a way of keeping up with news, etc., that affects all of us (however grim it may sometimes be). It is truly amazing how much things have changed in that regard since 16 years ago when I was in Romania, and would have to go to the post office to pay by the minute to make an outgoing phone call back to the U.S. Now, not only can I call the U.S. anytime, but we have our same Nashville phone number right here in Serbia -- so feel free to call us anytime (well, not anytime -- remember that we are 7 hours ahead of most of you) at 615-297-8673 . We also have been able to have video conferences with Graham's consulting therapist back in Nashville through Skype, and Wes has been able to keep in touch with his friends through Gmail chat and Gmail video chat. All in all, we really don't feel like we're that far away, which has, I am sure, helped the kids, and probably Eli and me, with the transition.

Some things here, however, indeed make us feel like we very much are no longer in the U.S. While Belgrade has much to offer, it also has many of the trappings of a former communist country, including crumbling buildings, pollution, a fair amount of trash, tons of stray dogs (which were in plentiful supply when I was in Romania, as well), lots of graffitti, an antiquated public transportation system, and plenty of other inefficiencies. For you history buffs, you might be interested to learn that the Serbs apparently decided not to demolish the buildings that were bombed by NATO in 1999, choosing instead to leave them as very unsafe monuments to what they continue to believe was an unjust attack on their country. In all seriousness, the main part of downtown Belgrade has five or six huge buildings that are abandoned and completely bombed out -- it's a little eerie. Although many of Belgrade's beautiful old buildings have been destroyed through the years by dictators or by war, many remain, and as Eli has said, Belgrade just needs one big powerwashing!

On the plus side, the Serbs know how to eat, drink and have a good time. Belgrade is notorious for its nightlife, and although Eli and I have not and most likely will not hit the club scene, Graham's therapist, Jamie, went out last Saturday night with a young Serbian woman who works at the kids' school, and didn't come home until 4 a.m. She said that was "early" for most Serbians, and that the clubs were still going strong when she left. Speaking of young Belgradians, fashion is also another strong suit here -- I feel a bit like I'm surrounded by runway models when I'm on the streets here. Although clothes are very expensive, very nice clothes and shoes are in plentiful supply, and while I suspect that most Serbian women actually have very few items in their closet, they are incredibly well-dressed and groomed when they go out into public.

About the food -- if you like red meat, cabbage, potatoes, beans and bread, you're going to do very well in Serbia. Fortunately, our family seems to love all of the food that Serbia has to offer -- even Graham (our pickiest eater -- which is saying something when you have Wes for a brother) has expanded his food repertoire here!! This is very good news for our family, and greatly increases our options for eating out together as a family. I had a chance last week to visit the main downtown outdoor "green market," which was totally amazing. Stall after stall after stall of the most amazing fruits and vegetables you've ever seen. And it was only March!!!! We hear that the green markets are incredible in the summer, and that the tomatoes are so delicious that people eat them like they were a piece of fruit. My Mom is going to love it here when she visits in May and June (she's a tomato freak!)

Regarding the Richardson children, they all continue to thrive. Wes absolutely loves his school, and seems to have made some very good friends. The 5th grade has a really nice mix of Americans, Serbians and kids from other countries, so I think that he is enjoying the diversity of backgrounds. We've encountered a little problem though, with his best Serbian friend, who apparently is allowed to go to the mall on Friday nights with his friends for "some food, some video games and a movie." The boy's "driver" takes him and his Dad picks him up, and Wes was COMPLETELY DISTRAUGHT when I told him that I was not quite ready for him to do that last Friday night. We will have to ease our way into that, if you know what I mean.

Virginia loves her new school and friends, as well. Her "best" friend is Serbian, but she also has some American friends (some of whom are here with U.S. Steel, which has about 20 families here in Belgrade -- very nice folks!). Virginia's teacher, Miss Nadia, is from Venezuala, and she and her husband both work at the international school here. Miss Janna, the assistant in Virginia's class, is married to the Lower School Principal, and their family moved here from Seattle last summer for her husband's job at the school. They are a really great family with two girls (5th grade and 3rd grade), and have been very helpful to us since we arrived (she's the one who introduced me to the great sweater store I talked about in my last email).

Graham is amazing, and seems to have adjusted nearly flawlessly to his new home and schedule. He really likes Jamie, his therapist, and seems to be happy in his new routine. Although he only spends about 10 hours per week at school, he loves going every day, and the kids there have really embraced him. Unfortunately, the school will be off for the next two weeks for Easter break, so that probably won't go over very well with him.

We have a few fun trips planned in April. This weekend we will go up to an area north of here called Fruska Gora. As I understand it, this is a national forest area where some of Serbia's oldest and most beautiful monasteries are located. Eli has a conference there, and the rest of us will be tagging along. Then, over the Orthodox Easter weekend (April 17-20), we will go to Budapest, which is about four hours from Belgrade by car. We feel so blessed to be able to hop in the car and take our kids to these amazing places!

Our one piece of sad news is that my great Aunt, Aunt Marion, passed away this week. She was 97 years old, I believe, and lived a very long and full life, but it is still hard to think of her being gone. I am disappointed that we will not be able to be there for her funeral, as she really was like a grandmother to me (she was my Dad's Mom's sister). My parents will be there, though, as will other family members. Her funeral will be next Tuesday, and she will be buried later that week with her husband, Conrad, in Maryland.

I hope that all of you are doing well at home, and that you are enjoying springtime. I will write again in another week or two. Talk to you all soon.

Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment